Postgraduate study at a world ranking university
Maximise your employability in a competitive jobs market and accelerate your career progression with a taught master's degree from The University of Manchester’s Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences.
Taught by renowned academics and supported by a dedicated team of industry specialists, the courses - such as our groundbreaking MSc Pollution & Environmental Control - are innovative and provide excellent preparation for work or PhD study.
Join us this September and set the path for a stimulating career, mastering the skills to address some of the major challenges facing the planet.
Places available for Autumn 2022
Looking to advance your career, deepen your expertise or get ahead in the job market?
Find more information on what a taught master's at Manchester could look like for you, the funding available and how to apply for an October 2022 start.
Additionally, re-watch talks from our recent virtual open week, chat to our students and explore our virtual tours here, or use the finder below to find out more about the courses on offer, funding options and how to apply.
- Top 10 in the UK for both Earth Sciences and Environmental Sciences (QS World University Rankings 2020)
- Described as ‘internationally excellent’ and ‘world-leading’, we are ranked in the top five in the UK in the latest Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014)
- Bolstered by a strengthened research position through the expansion of the Department to include environmental ecology and evolutionary biology
- World-class research facilities including: Mineral Analysis and Geochemistry laboratories, Basins Seismic and Visualisation Facility; Molecular Environmental Science laboratories; Atmospheric Measurement Facility with a research aircraft; Collaborations with other university facilities including Materials Science and Manchester Computing
Excellence in teaching
We ensure that you have access to the world-class teaching on which our reputation is based. You can expect:
- Innovative and internationally recognised courses led by renowned scientists
- Exposure to networking and real-world experience through a strong network of industrial links and regular external talks from academia, consultancy and industry
- Access to cross-disciplinary centres, including the Centre for Atmospheric Science, Williamson Research Centre for Molecular Environmental Science, Manchester Energy, Research Centre for Radwaste Disposal and the Interdisciplinary Centre for Ancient Life
Ensuring the highest-quality student experience
From the moment you apply, you will receive the highest quality support to ensure that you have the best possible transition to starting your studies. From travel queries to accommodation questions, our team is on hand to ensure you have the student experience you deserve.
We also offer an MSc in Environmental Sciences, Policy and Management alongside other leading universities.
If you require any help with your application or have any questions, contact our postgraduate admissions team.