If you're a promising applicant based in the UK you'll be invited to attend one of our UCAS visit days, to meet staff and current students, and find out what it’s like to be a student here.
The visit day is your chance to ask questions about the UCAS application process, what it’s like to study on our Earth and Environmental Science degrees, opportunities beyond your degree, student life in the University, and the vibrant city of Manchester.
During the visit day you will have a short interview with a member of the academic staff. In the interview, we will discuss your motivations for studying one of our degree courses. It’s also a chance for you to ask questions and find out if the course is right for you. The interview helps us determine your suitability for, and commitment to, the course. We can also discuss any important contextual information, such as exceptional circumstances or personal barriers to learning, that we can consider when making an offer.
There will be a separate optional activity for parents while applicants are attending their interviews.
Our visit days are designed to give you as much information as possible about studying a degree in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences. Registration for the event will take place in room 2.16 in the Williamson Building. Below is an example of a typical visit day itinerary:
- 11:30am: Registration
- 12:15 - 1.00pm: Presentation about our degrees
- 1:00 - 1:45pm: Lunch, including time to meet our staff and students
- 1:45 - 2:00pm: Information about the UCAS application and admissions process
- Applicant activities:
- 2:00 - 4:00pm: An interview with a member of academic staff and a tour of the Department and University campus, led by a student ambassador
- Parent activities:
- 13.30 - 15.30 - A guided visit, which includes a presentation on the University, a question-and-answer session with a panel of current students and a campus tour. Visits start at 1.30pm at University Place and end at 3.30pm
- 15.30 - 16.00: Question and answer session with the Admissions team
- Applicants and parents:
- 16:00 - 16:30 Refreshments and close in G16
Detailed information about the day will be sent to you prior to your visit. In your interview, simply be prepared to talk about the interests and activities you told us about in your UCAS statement, as well as the topics you’re learning at school or college. You’re welcome to bring a list of questions you may have about the course. Please remember to confirm your attendance by accepting the interview offer through UCAS. There is no dress code but please do wear comfortable clothes and shoes as you will be walking around campus.
The university runs accommodation tours of some of its halls of residence on most Wednesday mornings from November until the end of March. Tours in November and December start at 10:30am. This is something you may want to consider attending prior to the Earth and Environmental Science Visit Day. You will need to arrange your own transport to and from the Fallowfield student accommodation area. Details of how to book a place on the tour can be found on the University's open days pages.